Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 14

"In many of the uncertainties and challenges we encounter in our lives, God requires us to do our best, to act and not be acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:26), and to trust in Him. We may not see angels, hear heavenly voices, or receive overwhelming spiritual impressions. We frequently may press forward hoping and praying—but without absolute assurance—that we are acting in accordance with God’s will. But as we honor our covenants and keep the commandments, as we strive ever more consistently to do good and to become better, we can walk with the confidence that God will guide our steps." Elder David A. Bednar, The Spirit of Revelation April 2011

Hi everybody! 

First of all, sorry about the mix-up last week. I guess I forgot to hit the send button or something. But I suppose now you get the pleasure of reading back-to-back emails, which is always great. : ) And this email feels somewhat scattered to my brain, so also sorry about that.

Also, apparently the Week of the Missing Camera was enough time to lose my picture-taking habits, so I apologize in advance for the lack of relevant pictures. But that's why we can repent, right?

So!

Tuesday was awesome-very likely the best day I've ever spent as a missionary. I think I say that every day, but this was really super rewarding and awesome and we were able to see results of time and work and it was GREAT! Our Ward had planned a Relief Society activity  (Johnny Lingo, 8-cow-woman themed) for that evening, so we spent a lot of time trying to make sure people would come. That morning we stopped by Kim H's for a lesson, as well as to renew the invitation to that night's activity. We ended up watching "Loving Others and Living with Differences" by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, from October's General Conference, and it had the answers Kim was looking for. And during this visit I received greater insight as to why the Lord needed specifically Sister N and I to be Kim's missionaries--I shared my knowledge that the Lord and the Ward are there to help her through this hard time, and Sister N opened up to Kim about how hard it was growing up when her Mom wouldn't go to church. The Spirit was there testifying and teaching, and we all cried some, but it was the good kind of crying. : ) 

Since Brian works at Burger King we stopped by to "grab a snack," but really just to say hello in the middle of the week (See Alma 18:22-23 for a scriptural example (tee hee)). I strayed from my favorite Hershey Pie to try the Reese's example. It was good, but I'm definitely getting my favorite next time.

We had a couple hours before the Relief Society activity, so we tracted some cute houses below the University. It's actually been very warm here this week, especially considering we're in North Dakota in January. For instance, usually there's at least a foot of snow outside, and it's usually so cold that the air in your lungs begins to freeze as soon as you inhale. Not super pleasant, but a fun experience. However, this week it's been warm enough that we can wear 1 coat! And tracting is super nice, because people don't mind opening their doors and talking. :) But Sister N would rather it was cold, just so she didn't keep getting Spring Fever while knowing that it will still be freezing for at least 3 months. But for the day, it was very nice. And then we went to the church, decorated for 20 minutes (It was slightly stressful to decorate that fast--felt a little like Prom.), and then had our activity. The opening on the left of the tables was filled with a projector and screen, where we watched Johnny Lingo. :)

And it was so awesome! Kim H came with her daughter Brittaniee (there was babysitting so that was a nice break for them), despite her broken elbow. Melissa came and had a good time with the Ward, and quite a few sister ended up bringing friends from work. Afterwards Kim pulled us aside and said, "Bishop is going to give me a Priesthood blessing. Do you want to come?" We wanted to scream and jump up and down, but we held it together and agreed (and then danced a little bit in the bathroom :D ). It was a powerful experience, and it is so amazing to witness Kim's journey. She was promised powerful blessings, and we'll do our best to make sure they happen.

Friday was ZTM (Zone Training Meeting), where we learned how to more effectively Role Play, or practice sharing the lessons. It was super helpful, and I'm excited to see the progress within myself personally. I know that practicing will help me share our message with greater clarity. We had our transfer exchange with our Sister Training leader right afterwards, and this time I got to stay in Fargo/Moorehead with Sister W. My goal, or "exchange focus", was to increase my ability to teach with clarity (and to learn what I can do to improve that), so it was great that we ended up having 5 lessons during our time together. Also, I had a surprise interview with President Anderson since I was in Fargo while he was, and he gave me some super helpful advice on teaching.
 
Brian left this note on his door--I was with Sister W in Fargo, but Sister N took a picture and I thought it was pretty cute. ("My Mormon friends" : ) )  
 
It's a blurry picture, but the gas price still stands out: $1.84/gal! I never imagined I'd see it so low!

We had an exciting Sunday--Melissa was finally able to make it to church, so we were helping her with Madison and Brooklyn during the meetings, as well as making sure she had her interview with Bishop. And then Kim H's family came, so we made sure to sit by them, but they left before we could really talk! And then a huge family of more-elderly brothers/cousins/sons? came in, and as missionaries we got kinda' stuck talking to the new people. And then (!) Brian and Rose showed up when we were setting up for the potluck! Our missionary minds were exploding with excitement and anxiety by then--we hadn't asked anyone ahead of time to sit with them and make sure they felt welcome, so we just tried to do it all at once. But I think everyone had a good experience, and hey, it's not my, work it's the Lord's, and He always makes sure our best efforts aren't wasted. Since Brian had had to cancel his lesson on Saturday (see the picture of the Doorknob Note) we met after Potluck and had a 2-hour discussion on the Plan of Salvation. It's so hard to make sure the lessons don't go way over because Brian gets super excited about the information we're bringing, and he has a lot of comments and questions. It's awesome, because he's actually taking in and applying what we're talking about, it just can get really deep and takes time. We started out the lesson with an invitation to be baptized, and while he's still not sure, once we talk about the Gospel and clarify the role of the Priesthood he'll really understand.

And that wasn't even the craziest part of Sunday! 

That night at around 7:00 we got a forwarded text from our District Leader saying that as Monday was a holiday and people would be home, we'd switch Monday to a normal proselyting day and do our preparation day on Tuesday. Sister N and I were shocked at the news--at first, we were sure it was a joke. No one would gives us news like that so last-minute, right? But we found out that the schedule WAS going to change. The only problem was, we already had 6 appointments scheduled for Tuesday, and we'd planned to spend Monday with the Pet family, and it was going to be REALLY HARD to be obedient on this one. During our nightly planning session we actually planned Monday as a preparation day, but as soon as we ended our closing prayer I was pretty sure we'd made the wrong decision. We were waiting for President Anderson to call us back, to see if we could get permission to keep our normal schedule, but when I asked Sister N if we should pray about our plans. Was our decision to have P-day on Monday the wrong one? I'd felt a growing sense of unease all during that evening, and during our prayer there was basically a pit in my soul that just kept sinking and sinking. Sister N looked up at me, I said it didn't feel very good, she said she'd gotten the answer that we needed to change our plans, so at 9:45 we went back to the planner and figured out how to reschedule our day.

It was really hard to be obedient to leadership that time, especially since it had seemed so unreasonable, but that night we both knew that we'd made the right choice. Sometimes the Lord gives you answers that you definitely don't want or expect, but He always knows better. And I'm very grateful now that we listened, especially since yesterday when we stopped by Kim's house she invited us over to make coconut oil products, and since today is P-day it worked out perfectly. : ) 
*     *      *      *     *

Mission News: 
-As many of you have already heard (in fact, it seems like most people knew about this before the missionaries did), the South Dakota Rapid City Mission's boundaries will be reorganized in July. Our Zone Leaders addressed this during our monthly training meeting, but all they said is to keep working like normal and worry about it when it's happening. : ) So that's the plan.
-To end their service with a bang, President & Sister Anderson announced that our whole mission will be going through the 12-week missionary Training program over their last 6 months. I just finished training and was basically heartbroken to see that resource leave my day, so I'm very excited for these next months.

*     *      *       *     *

This week was a good week of growth for me. Ether 12:27 comes to mind; "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27.

I love you all! 

-Sister Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment