Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Week 32: Figuring Things Out

"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." Proverbs 29:18

Hey everyone!

We've had another awesome week here; I hope yours went just as well. 
About the delay--since Monday was Memorial Day, our Preparation Day was pushed back. And then Tuesday was Zone Conference, so now we're having it today (Wednesday). Hope none of you were too worried. : )

*     *      *      *     *

So Monday night Sister C invited Robert to be baptized on June 27th, and he was so excited (He actually said in the middle of our lesson that he wanted to be baptized.)! And we were super excited too. The Spirit was pretty strong. Jackie was able to be there as well, which was pretty cool.

We also got to go to Branch Family Home Evening. We were celebrating Brenda's birthday, so her awesome neighbor made us all a huge dinner. Carla gave us a lesson on Jesus Christ, and we finished up with cake and ice cream. It was pretty fun. : )


Tuesday we found a new member to come visiting with us--Sister T, one of the Young Women leaders. I don't know why I hadn't thought to ask her before, but as we were sitting trying to think of who we could bring her name came to mind. And she totally loved it! We're going to try to go teaching with her every week. It was also just crazy busy--we started out the day driving to Belle to volunteer at the museum, then we drove back to Sturgis for 12-Week Training call, then we had lessons and dinner and training. I love being a missionary!

After helping out at the food pantry Wednesday morning, we drove to Lead for lunch with Sister W. It was super fun to see her meet Sister C--she loved her so much right off the bat. That's actually been one really fun part of this transfer, seeing people meet Sister C. She's such an awesome Sister! Anyway, we had a lunch of her family's famous homemade noodles, then we helped vacuum and mop her floors (we like to swap meals for service with her), then we drove back to Sturgis for more lessons. We drove through Spearfish on the way to Belle so we could meet with Justine, the cashier we met at Walmart last week. It was a pretty awesome first lesson. She had her roommate and her fiance there, and we had a good chat about their past religious experiences--I'm pretty excited for us to hand them over to the Elders. She seems like she'll love learning about the Gospel. : ) And then we drove back home for dinner and a lesson with the O. They're doing so great. : )

Thursday morning we had the parrot sanctuary, our lesson with Caitlin (we forgot to bring a member so we're hoping to get that going next week), lunch with Sister O (She had her granddaughter McKenzie over so we could chat, and it was a sweet missionary hour. Sister O is so cool!), and then we got to do our studies. Right when we were finishing up companionship study, we got a phone call from a Sister from . . . not here, asking if we could help with her mother's funeral service the next day. Since she's from out of town, we, the missionaries, were her best resource. We said yes, of course. So we also had to drive to Sturgis to pick up my music binder. After Ward Coordination I spent about an hour brushing up on the accompaniment to "I Know That My Redeemer Lives," then we got home and had to do training and go to bed. Somehow planning got pushed out of the day. By then we were really wishing we could just sit down and get things straightened out.
 
The sunset after Ward Coordination was super pretty. : )

Friday morning we drove to a funeral home in Spearfish (they didn't want to use our chapel in Belle Fourche). I ended up accompanying for Becky (?) singing the violin part changed to a vocal solo. It went super high in the beginning, but she graduated from BYU with vocal performance so she sounded good anyway. It was fun to talk with her since she actually took lessons from the professor I was working with, and she also served a mission in Ukraine. Pretty cool, eh? The Sister in charge hired a Methodist pastor to conduct since all the Priesthood holders in our Ward were gong for a temple trip, and it was pretty interesting to listen to his sermon. Sister C explained it well--it was like watching an actor in a play. Emotional and cool, but not really inviting the Spirit. But we got to help with the music, and afterwards the pastor stayed to chat. He asked us about how we teach the Word of Wisdom, and then he encouraged (me specifically) to keep serving people with music. We counted it as a Contact For Potential. : ) And then the rest of the day we planned. It was glorious!

The red-toned lighting made Sister C really sleepy.

On our way back from the funeral we stopped to have a spur-of-the-moment visit with Sister S. Right when we got there she burst into tears and invited us in--she's just had a health scare with her cat, who was fortunately going to be okay. I'm glad we were there to help. : ) Sister C is also a cat lover so she's doing super good in this area.

I'm running out of time so I'll skip Saturday. 

Sunday we were at Church in Sturgis, which was amazing. President H was gone traveling, but we had some awesome talks on family history that super motivated me to get going on mine. One speaker said "President Monson has time for family history and he's the prophet. I don't think I know anyone busier than him!" That really helped me realize that we as missionaries should be doing ours too, especially since we're given an hour every week for familysearch.org. 'Cause the Prophet is not only a full-time servant, but a lifetime servant. So we can make it work too. : )  We got to have a lesson with Robert, which went really well, and we drove out to meet with the P. They fed us homemade pie afterwards. : ) And then we had a lesson scheduled with Bill from the previous week, so we drove back to Belle for that. We were hoping to help both him and Robert understand the importance of commitments, and it went very well. Hopefully they'll both come to church next week! 

And then it was Memorial Day! We had planned to spend all morning helping Sister S dig a trench. However, about 10 minutes before we were headed out we got a text that it was cancelled due to the inclement weather. I actually thought it would be fun in the rain, but I guess probably not very effective. Anyway, that meant we got to have a normal morning of studies, which was nice. 

We had a nice dinner with Brenda after trying and failing to meet with our other investigator in Sturgis (she set it up and then cancelled all within the same hour), and then we drove to Rapid City for a New Missionary Training which actually was more like a Training for Trainers and Leadership. Sister C, bless her heart, was super patient as we sat in a semicircle with the Assistants and President & Sister Anderson talking about the functions behind setting up a good district meeting. 

TUESDAY: Zone Conference. My best one yet. Let me give you all the factors: I actually had a lot of concerns/questions for my area since we're working on getting two areas put together. Sister C and I have been studying the study guide for two weeks. President and Sister Anderson gave their last Zone Conference in Rapid City, the place they served most of the mission (they're stationed in Bismarck now). We also have amazing Zone Leaderships and we had an awesome District training prepared. So all of these things and more = best Zone Conference ever. I loved learning about teaching with the Spirit, about using silence to let Him teach after we've testified. I loved hearing President and Sister Anderson's trainings on Sacrifice & the importance of family, as well as their advice for us for post-mission life. I cried in my interview with President Anderson. I'm going to miss them, we all love them so much! And they have to leave their mission too, which is such a hard thing to face. We were all pretty spiritually, physically, and emotionally exhausted after Tuesday.

So yep, a lot has happened in a week and a half. It's been so great to be working on getting organized. I'm really excited for what we have coming next week!

Love,
Sister F
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment