Monday, July 27, 2015

Week 39: With a Willing Heart

 "As you obey with a willing heart, you will show the Lord your love for Him, earn the trust and confidence of members and nonmembers, and qualify for the companionship of the Holy Ghost." -Missionary Handbook

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the birthday wishes! As you can probably tell, I have a wonderful companion who made sure that tomorrow's celebrations will not be forgotten. (We even had cake for District Meeting!) So I can promise you that I will do my best to have a wonderful birthday. : )

It sounds like life has kept on going for everyone at home, which is great. There's nothing like bumps in the road to help you appreciate when it's a smooth ride. It's been great here in South Dakota, and I know that's really all you want to read about so I'll get right on to it.

Monday was pretty fun. : ) Sister L, from the Rapid City area, came with us in Sturgis while her companion went to the Missionary Leadership Conference in Bismarck. We got sweet pictures everywhere. It was kinda' like being back in the Trio again. We even took two hours at Walmart! (which was not good because the longer you're at Walmart the more you spend....)
 
Tuesday we still had Sister L with us. We had lunch with the Pehs in Deadwood, then came back to visit Carla and do our Media/Family History hour. I made an ancestry account and found a lot of really cool information---apparently there are people who have records and stuff further back on my Mom's side than I knew about. I'm excited to keep learning about my Lithuanian ancestors! Sister C also found a neat story called The Hummingbird Rescue (https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/06/the-hummingbird-rescue?lang=eng ) which really helped her see the impact we make as missionaries (and even as regular people going around helping others). While visiting Cindy at the long-term hospital care unit, she had us take a picture with her, which I'm really glad of now since as of yesterday she is in the ICU at the Rapid City hospital and I might not get to see her before I get transferred.
 
 
The elevator in Robert's apartment building always has cheesy jokes in it. I had to remember this one since Rally is coming up. : ) Make way for the motorcycles!

We met with Thomas, and then we all went to the Han's for dinner. President Han was actually out of town on a motorcycle trip himself (Sturgis Branch, go figure : ) ), so for our dinner message we challenged Sister Han to give a Family Proclamation to one of her bank friends. I'm excited to see how that went! And then of course we read PMG with Jackie and had a fun POS lesson with Sister L before the returning MLC missionaries picked her back up.
 

Wednesday morning we got to go to the food pantry again. Sister C and I took off the clear plastic wrapping on all the canned goods. I don't know how necessary that was, but it sure looked nice in there when we were done. : ) I think we'll try to do a hymn for them this next week, they really like it when we sing for them. We had an awesome meeting with Molly. It was our first time going to her apartment; as expected, it was super cute and clean and country, and she is amazing. I can't wait to get to know her better. We packed up our things afterwards, then stopped to see Rachel on our way back to Belle Fourche. In Belle we found a package from the Cs awaiting us. Her cute family gave me a new notebook. : ) I love it!

Thursday morning on our run around the park, guess what we saw? A horse! Just wandering around the park. No big deal. Two police officers were off the side watching, waiting, and a couple on a walk went and started to pet it. We ran back to our apartment to get our cameras. I felt weird getting too close, so this was the best we got. 
 
Home of the Belle Fourche Roundup. : )

We accomplished the amazing feat of practically finishing Weekly Planning that day. We also had a great lesson with Caitlin--apparently she's already friends with Rue's family! We also met with the Os and had a nice lesson outside on the tramp. They like to be outside in the summer because in the winter you can't go out at all.

Friday morning we met with Hannah and started to study Preach My Gospel with her. She is planning on going on a mission. She picked a chapter she wanted to apply, which was "Using Time Wisely"; then we talked about setting goals and she's going to try to do that this week. It's definitely true that "Goals reflect the desires of our hearts and our vision of what we can accomplish. Through goals and plans, our hopes are transformed into action. Goal setting and planning are acts of faith," (PMG ch. 8). I've always been a strong advocate of goals, but it's been on my mission that I've actually found a system that works for me. I am accountable to my companion, and we go over our goals every night, and I've seen a lot of personal growth in setting goals regularly.

We were supposed to have our first lesson with Ashley, friend of the Ss, on Friday night after dinner at 6:00. Dinner ended up being ready at 7:30, and she didn't make it over until about 8:30, but we gave her a Restoration pamphlet to read and
 
Saturday morning we met with her at 11:30 and talked about what she'd read. She liked it, and she's preparing to be baptized on August 8! I know that as she reads out of the Book of Mormon daily and prays for direction, she'll receive the knowledge and understanding that she's seeking. She's such a cute girl, I'm so excited for her! The Relief Society President's family fed us a nice lunch, after which we shared Sister C's favorite story about the marble egg. She then let us know that she wants to come teaching with us the first Thursday night of every month. That's a great way to make a missionary happy--letting them take you to a lesson. : )

We also went to Spearfish to volunteer at the wildlife sanctuary, but since it's out of our area and the Elders are there all the time we decided we'd just stick with the Tri-State Museum in Belle.

Sunday was pretty fun. : ) Robert didn't come to Church (although Ashely did!) in Sturgis, but guess who we ran into? The Stephens! It blows my mind that I would end up serving my mission in the place where they go every year for their honeybees. I got to get an update on Elder Stephen's mission in the Philippines, and of course we got a picture. : ) It was chill.

The Ds had us over for dinner, which was nice. They're feeling topsy-turvy about the new Supreme Court ruling, so we read Psalm 23 with them, focusing on the line "He leadeth me beside the still waters." Sometimes in life we feel like the threatening water around us are raging and deep. However, when the Savior is with us--and He is always with us--the waters are still. I've personally felt the peace we learn of in John 14:27 ("Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled , neither let it be afraid."), even this week. There are many ways to be distracted from our troubles in life, but I know that I've found lasting peace and comfort through living and sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Thank you so much for your prayers and letters! Prayer is powerful and I can feel the protection and peace from so many people every day.

Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Sister F

No comments:

Post a Comment