Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Week 53: Movers and Shakers

"Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered." 2 Nephi 2:7

Hello everyone!

A wonderful, crazy week!

News update: we got the phone call this morning while doing laundry at the Wielands' home. I'm getting transferred to Minot to be a Sister Training Leader with Sister Clark, and Sister Robinson will be training a new Sister here in Beulah! I honestly broke down crying when we got the call from President Hess--I love Sister Robinson so much, and I don't want to say goodbye to everyone I love in Beulah. : ( But I know it's where I need to be, and I'll soon learn to love everyone in Minot as well. We were just getting comfortable... "No growth in the comfort zone, and no comfort in the growth zone."

Well, Monday. : ) Monday was beautiful! So we had scheduled with Sister Schellenberg to go make an ice cream cake together for P-day. Sister Schellenberg loves us and sharing the Gospel so much that she also invited us over for chicken salad lunch sandwiches, and she invited her next-door neighbor Richard over as well. I found myself being a little annoyed to have to teach a lesson in the middle of P-day, but it went well and looking back it was awesome. I want to be as cool as Sister Schellenberg when I'm post-mission. Our sandwiches were delicious, and we also had a lot of fun making the ice cream cake. Turns out we needed three people to get it to fit in the freezer, so I'm glad we were all there together. We all had a good laugh when I tried to figure out the best way to crush Oreos for the filling--turns out it's a little crazy with a potato masher.
 
The Johnsons had signed up for dinner. McKayla picked us up from our apartment, and then we chatted mission chat--she enters the MTC on the 28th! We had an awesome authentic German/Swedish dinner of rice with anise-spiced meatballs and topped with dill pickles (surprisingly delicious!). And then we sat on the couch while Sister Johnson showed us her new missionary wardrobe, and we oohed and aahed and helped calm their nerves hopefully. It's so surreal to be on the other side of leaving to go on a mission. I remember how scary that was, not  knowing at all what to expect, only know that everything will be different. After we had a nice chat about how great the temple is, we took a family trip to Cenex for icecream. We all sat in a booth, at f'reals, and then eventually we had to go. McKayla took us back home. She's going to be a great missionary. : )
 
Tuesday was awesome! Sister Billman texted us the night before and asked if we'd come with her to visit Becky and Britney, and of course we said yes! I love visits organized and initiated by someone else! So that morning she drove us around and we had a great time, she got to meet those two sisters and now she knows what she can do to help as the Relief Society President. And now we also know more of each of their concerns about Church and testimony and stuff like that. You have to know what's wrong in order to know how to fix it.

I got a nice letter from Camille during lunch (yay! Mail is going well! Keep up the great work! : O ) and we had a good visit with Ashley. We explained the Restoration to her and invited her to really read and pray about the Book of Mormon. And then we had STL call, but when Sister Mansell and Sister Steiner called they said the President and Sister Hess were movin' and shakin' the mission. We heard last week that we won't be using our leadership binders anymore, we're just going to base everything off of PMG and the missionary handbook (as it should be). So what this means is that we no longer text our STL at night to say we made it in, and we don't have a weekly Sister Call. Crazy! But so so good. : )

We had a good visit with Luke, following up on reading the Book of Mormon, and we got to bring Liberty with us to teach Ariel. We taught him about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, about how the way we come unto Christ is by having faith in him and His Atonement, repenting, being baptized, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and then enduring to the end. He really understood it well, but, he said, he'd already been baptized as a baby. He didn't think that was good because it hadn't even been his choice, but he didn't understand why that didn't work. So, we had him teach himself--talked about how John the Baptist had the authority to baptize Jesus, and how we all needed to follow that example. And then he read the Resto pamphlet's section on the Great Apostasy, and then we asked him what he'd learned, and he said that his baptism wasn't with the Priesthood. Bingo! Teaching is so awesome! So now all Ariel needs to do (and he'll really be doing it with real intent and a sincere heart now) is read the Book of Mormon and pray about it, and come to Church. Then he'll know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth, complete with the authority to act in God's name. : ) It was great, and I'm glad we finally did a real lesson with Liberty there! 

Our dinner was the Relief Society's Heel Your Sole activity, with a fun skit we got to be in. I practiced afterwards for the surprise musical number for Wednesday's ZTM. Also, we got a phone call right at 8:50 from Sister Cavey in Belle Fourche/Sturgis saying that they'd been locked out of the apartment and didn't remember the code to the garage. Good thing I remembered it! It was fun to hear from her. : ) Also to say hello to the Hanhardts. : ) 

Wednesday morning Sister Lee picked us up and drove us to Bismarck for ZTM. I sat in the back with my journal in the hopes of getting caught back up, but to no avail, her conversation was so interesting to listen to! The musical number for ZTM went well, I did an arrangement of Be Still My Soul and just played the Soprano line in with the accompaniment. Our training was basically a redo of MLC's awesome day on Our Purpose & Planning, so we all recommitted to plan the Preach My Gospel way. We can do it! Sister Lee then took us out to lunch at La Carretta's, which was so nice, and then we were back in Beulah. Of course we'd planned a Halliday day, so we hopped into our car and drove to Faye's house where we had a good lesson on the Gospel and the Atonement, conveniently what we'd just been trained on! We had planned to talk about why we have the Word of Wisdom, but this seemed like a bigger concern to take care of. The Axtells fed us dinner--well, Brother Axtell was still at work, but we had a good visit with Sister Axtell. She always makes several amazing dishes, and usually a few of them are Philippino and they're ALL delicious! It's been fun getting to be good friends with them as we figure out how to work in Beulah together. They're great mission leaders!

And then we also dropped off our old tippy dresser at Amanda's house and swapped for a very heavy upgrade. It took all three of us to carry it into our car. On the drive back home I was pretty nervous about how we were going to get it up to the third floor, but of course we in our Sister pride refused to call anyone for help. We parked the car, opened the back door of the Jeep, and spent 15 minutes just getting the dresser out of the car. It was in a weird cardboard box which left almost no grip. We ended up rolling/pushing it over and over itself almost like a wheel across the parking lot, and then right at the first stairs a friendly neighbor Ryan came out and offered to help us out. Whew! He coulda' been an angel send from heaven! We got it up together (but mostly him) to the top floor, and then he disappeared like a dream in the night. 

Thursday we planned and it was not the most fun thing, but Thursday night was amazing. Sister Schellenberg fed us a last-minute dinner, and when we got there she'd also invited Richard and her friend Tiffany (plus Tiffany's family)! We had an awesome visit with Tiffany and she ended up giving us her number so we could come teach her family, and then Richard stepped in from being outside with the kids and we taught him some more about the Book of Mormon, and then everyone was finally gone and we took a quiet moment to eat the ice cream came from Monday. It was delicious. : ) Sister Schellenberg showed us the cute pictures she'd done recently, and then we headed to the Cranes' home for a lesson. We weren't 100% sure what we were going to teach them, nothing ever came together in studies, but we just went for it. The Scheers were also there--high stakes! Not a solid plan and members coming with! Heavenly Father had a plan for us, though. : ) When we had been in about 10 minutes, who walked in but their friend Dan! He expressed a ton of interest in us as missionaries! He said he's actually walked up to the Elders before and asked them about what they're doing! Every time the conversation got sidetracked, he'd redirect back to missionary work and the Gospel. He is SO interested in learning! So we explained what the Book of Mormon is and how we can know it's true, and then we got his phone number and he said to definitely call in a couple weeks when he's got work off and he'll schedule a time to meet with us. : ) Wahoo! It felt like new investigators were just getting thrown at us! We got home pretty late, but in the parking lot there was someone else we needed to talk with--Tony had just gotten back from being at the bar, and he was super down and he's not even sure if he believes in God anymore. We had an intense visit, and we gave him two pamphlets and a Book of Mormon. I hope he reads them. 

Friday can be explained by this quote from Sister Robinson; "Sometimes you're not supposed to be somewhere--you're supposed to learn something." We spent the whole day running around trying to figure out where we should be, and nothing was working. All our appointments fell through, and to just face it, we were not having a good day. The lesson? At the end, we stopped by Lauri's house and talked about what was going on. Sister Robinson helped me realize that I needed to be honest and recognize that things weren't going well. You can't just grin and bear it, you've got to admit you need help in order to find it. I don't like admitting defeat. It seems pessimistic. But we went for it, and I explained to her that the day HAD been hard, and then the moment I did that, I was flooded with relief and hope. By refusing to admit that nothing was working, I was taking responsibility for that and it was faked optimism. When you refuse to admit that you have "a broken heart and a contrite spirit," you never let the Savior in to heal and lift you. But the minute you acknowledge your absolute need for help, He's there to lift you. I'm learning how to be self-aware! The day didn't work out amazingly after that, but because we both had an open attitude that made all the difference. We did get to have a nice dinner with the Koehlers, and then Luke made it home so our cancelled lesson with him got to happen. We watched Because He Lives from Easter, and now I'm pretty sure Luke and Camren both know that Jesus Christ lives today. That's a good takeaway. : )

Saturday we had a surprise lesson with Kenny--we were in the neighborhood, and he wasn't home when we got there, so we walked around and tried everyone else. It was weird because it felt like we needed to be there, but no one was home. What's up with that? But then right when we were about to pull out, Kenny pulled back in from work and yelled "Sisters!," waving his arms all excited-like. : ) So we closed the doors and walked back over to his trailer and sat at the lawn chairs. We shared Ether 12:27 and gave him a Book of Mormon so he could gain a stronger testimony of Christ, and it was awesome! 

Yeah, no show. We walked around for a few minutes, left them a few voicemails, then decided they weren't gonna' be there. What were we going to do about lunch? Everyone in the Branch was at the temple because youth temple trip and McKayla was getting her Endowments. Tricky tricky! We tried Faye but she was busy, so then we just went to the Youngs' home for an early visit. We found out she's never actually read and prayed about the Book of Mormon--being from Utah, it's easy to coast. So we talked about how awesome it is to know the Book of Mormon is true, and then at the end I felt a strong impression that if I didn't ask for food that was our last chance for lunch that day. So, I humbled myself and did it. I asked for food. *sigh* She was happy to feed us some deep-fried burritos. : ) Being a missionary, though. 

Well, we were pretty sure we were done in Halliday for the day. Driving past Dodge, we thought we'd stop by the Hortons' home. We didn't actually know where they lived, so we just drove to the old school to take pictures with the weird statues. But when we hopped out of the car, I saw a family out on the porch, and I felt like we'd better go talk to them. Sister Robinson wasn't super excited about it, but I knew we needed to go, so she reluctantly agreed and we walked over. Turns out we totally needed to be there! It was a family reunion, in a way--grandma Norma, daugher-in-law Tari, neice Charlotte, then sons (grandsons?) Kendall and Trigg. Tari's husband Kendall was also home. Charlotte is from Montana and she has an LDS friend and went to Church with her once, but she didn't have a Book of Mormon so we gave her one, and then she gave us Costco muffins. Mmm! Haven't had costco since Utah! And then Tari said she wouldn't mind us coming to do service, and then she showed us a video on her phone of a brother (?) grabbing his duck out of a pond. So we're in! 

At Hazen we found Erin, who we're excited to get to know more when she doesn't have the flu. And then we had dinner with the Lees--we were there longer than normal, but Sister Lee's aunt Renee was there, and she's not LDS, so we had an awesome chat. She'd actually just gotten back from Rome, and she showed us all her cool art history pictures. She'd even gotten about 5 feet from the Pope, and got several cool pictures of him kissing and blessing babies. : ) I'm not sure what the Pope does all day but he seems like an amazing man.
 
Sunday was great. : ) Sister Robinson spoke in Sacrament Meeting, I played piano since Sister Phillips (the Branch pianist) was out of town, and McKayla did her farewell speech about the role of women in the Church. : ) She cried and I cried watching and it was amazing. Our appointments for later in the day also fell through, so we just walked around knocking on doors in Beulah and met a few cool people, and then we went to Hazen and the first door we went to was opened by Michael. He's in stage 4 cancer, has an awesome dog named Harley, and he said he's really looking for a foundation. He accepted a Book of Mormon and we're already good friends. It was great to really listen to what he loves and is worried about, and then to share what's helped us in life. I'm so glad Sister Robinson taught me how to be real (or at least how to start that process, I'm sure it will take a lifetime of learning). I'm so glad the weather was nice enough to talk with people outside. 

Dinner with the Scheers was super fun. I love their family, it reminds me of being home. : ) Sister Scheer thinks they're embarrassing but I just love it! And then we did a Pipenger stop-by and we had the best discussion we've ever had (mind you, it's only the second...)! Brother Pipenger talked about all his concerns with finding faith and a Church and also people being awful to others and Sister Robinson shared a spirit-slap example of how she went through the same thing, but once she knew the Book of Mormon was true it all got better. A testimony isn't something you can learn; it's a gift from God, and it only comes when you read the book and pray about it. Seek and find. That's how it goes.

Ahh. I love missionary work. It's the best thing. 

Thanks for reading! 

Love,
Sister F
 

No comments:

Post a Comment